Saturday, September 19, 2009

Healthcare, Hemophilia, & Lifetime Caps

Below is an interesting video about a hemophiliac and lifetime insurance caps. Believe it or not about a year ago our company (Dr Pepper) went through a change of ownership and the company had to scramble last minute to put together insurance plans for all the employees. The change of ownership wasn't expected, and our insurance plans were put together with scotch tape. As soon as I saw we had a lifetime insurance cap, I FREAKED! While hemophilia may not seem, and certainly isn't the worst health issue in the world, it has to be one of the most costly. Usually lifetime insurance caps are $1.0M or $1.5M, and as you can see in this video, this FIVE year old kid hit his pretty quickly. Currently, Ben receives a little over 1,000 units of Factor a week, and rumor has it that the Factor we use is approximately $1/unit! Rhett will be there soon. Thankfully I work for a wonderful company, I like them and they like me. Our plan changed this year and we currently don't have a lifetime insurance cap. We DO however have high deductibles (that seem to be increasing every year), but things could be SO much worse. Why did I post this video? I think this healthcare issue gets to be a bit of a Left & Right debate, but don't forget there are MILLIONS of people that face healthcare dilemma's. I try not to get caught up in the healthcare issue, because at the end of the day, it is out of my control. Our children's health is in the hands of the Lord, and I trust Him fully.


2 comments:

Karen said...

I watched the video. My mom hit her lifetime cap on her insurance about a year before she died and my parents paid $1,400 a month (not including deductible and co-pay) for a state health care plan.

The thing I keep thinking is this: How does anyone get through this life without God??? ALL of our hope is in Him, for this life and the next.

Kelly Marie said...

Having Ben and Rhett has made me look at healthcare with a different prospective, certainly. There has got to be an equitable solution. . . . .