Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The ice has melted...

We survived! We were lucky to only be out of power for about 50 hours. Some people are still without. The first night, we stayed in our house and all slept together, but in the morning, we could see our breath. So the next 2 nights we crashed at our friends house, who were gracious enough to put us up (thank you Carlsons)! We were so grateful to have a warm (and lighted)place to sleep and hang out. For two days, all you could hear outside were trees cracking and falling, and since then, all you can hear now is chainsaws, busy at work. The damage was horrific, I've never seen such big trees split into so many pieces. Amazing how something so beautiful can be so dangerous!


These huge pine trees line the property behind our house and back up to our fence. They are not supposed to be in our backyard. Since the ice has melted, they've lifted quite a bit, but we still might have to cut some of them down.



The first day of the storm, I was being productive inside and paying bills, when I went out to put them in the mail, I couldn't get the mailbox open! Needless to say, we didn't get mail for a few days.





The biggest icicles I've ever seen!

3 comments:

Krystal said...

Wow! You guys did get alot of ice. Glad to here you all are ok and were able to stay with friends during the power outage. Looking at your pictures brings back so many memories of the ice storm we had here last winter. It is crazy what all that ice can do! Hope you all are doing well!

Email: said...

We have been through that before. I had never experienced an ice storm until we moved to OK. I am glad yall are back at home with some power.

Karen said...

I'm so glad! Um, not you can start posting those soup recipes you promised me. :-)