Just in case you were wondering. But I'm seriously contemplating changing the title of this little blog:
I started this post a few weeks ago and never can seem to find the time to finish it. But I'm bound and determined to not give up on all forms of social media...yet. I know I've said in my last few posts that everyone is adjusting well, which is true, for the most part. In fact, I'm still in awe at how well the 4 kids are doing. But the honeymoon is OVER. Reality has settled in somewhere amidst the complete chaos that has taken over our home and lives. Kirk and I are hanging in there, but wow. We're definitely swimming in the deep end of the pool now. 3 was hard. 4 is harder. 4 seven and under is...well, insane. Kudos to all those who've done it and survived.
But I'm here to say we're alive and semi-well. We are slowly learning our many new limits. Spontaneity and freedom have taken a back seat on this wild wide yet routine and rhythm seem so out of grasp. So we're stuck somewhere in the middle which seems pretty messy at times. And speaking of messy...
I'm just going to have to get used to it. I swear I crunch at least a dozen cheerios under my feet each morning as I make my way to the coffee pot and when I crawl into my unmade but ever-so-inviting bed each night, I roll onto matchbox cars or some other foreign object. (if it's been a good day I smile and think how sweet it is, if it's been a bad day I hurl them across the room). I can't keep up with the laundry, or the dishes. I'm finding moldy sippy cups and dirty diapers hidden in the car or under beds, and I'm not finding them because I'm looking people. Our focus has been narrowed with the goal to get everyone fed, bathed (some days), clothed (usually) and infused...the important stuff right now.
It's been a whole new kind of crazy. It's been hard. It's been completely overwhelming. We are tired and cranky. This is the truth and this is our reality right now.
I don't mind, because I know in the blink of an eye they will be doing these things on their own and it will be mom that's taken a backseat to their daily necessities...and then I'll have all the time in the world for dishes and laundry and cleanliness. It's a bittersweet stage, and as much as I sometimes want to complain, it's hard to because we are happy. Four is MORE. Yes, more craziness, chaos, noise, meltdowns and messes, but also more joy, love, laughter and fun. Our hearts and our home are FULL. This is the crazy mess we have and it's what we wanted. I'm poignantly aware of how much I will miss these days when they've passed.

4 comments:
Preach it girl!!!! 4 kids under 7 is INSANE!!! I am living it right there with you. You could not have said any of that any better. everything from the freedom/ spontenaity,cherrios, matchbox cars, tantrums, and joy!!! Just know my dear friend, you are not alone. When you find that free second to think on your own, just know that your dear friend in Roswell is going through this crazy roller coaster right there with you! BIG hugs and love sent to your zoo, from mine! ;)
Love your honesty. we will be experiencing 4 under 7 in not tool ong...might be 8 by then. I need a reality check of what real life is going to be like. Such a beautiful family!
Catherine
Oh girl...I know how you feel! Granted, we only have three, but those first few months with a newly adopted child really are chaotic. You are not alone!! And it does get better, slowly but surely! :)
Oh, you and Kirk are our heroes! I can't even bgin to imagine the logistics. Hang in there, and hope you both feel it is ok if it only feels fantastic some of the time. Heck, I have only one and I think the best part of the day is when Carl has just fallen asleep and I can look at his sweet face sleeping, and then go crash on the couch with my husband and a cup of tea or glass of wine! :D Miss you sweetie, so wish we could meet up for a long weekend again London-style! Love
Post a Comment