Monday, August 23, 2010

update on the boys

wow.  where did August go?!?  It's been 3 weeks since they boys had their port-a-cath's put in and I wanted to post a little update. They have recovered so well with no major bumps in the road (no pun intended). :)  After returning home from KC we had a few quirky mishaps, but nothing too major.  We have all adjusted to the new ports and procedures.  In fact, this week will be the last week our beloved nurse Terri comes on a regular basis.  She's trained me to where I feel comfortable (I think) giving the boys their infusions and so this week begins their first 3x/weekly, regular routine!  It's quite a bit different than the old procedure and requires a lot more supplies and time, and we have to be really STERILE, but overall, once I have it down to a tee, it will be much easier.  A lot of people have asked us what a port is so here are some pics. 


In a nutshell, it's about the size of a bottle cap and then has a tube that goes directly to one of the main arteries or veins connected to the heart.  So we always have instant access to a blood line!  No more poking around with needles to find a good vein. We'll hopefully keep them in for a few years.  Here are some before and after pics of the boys.  I'm so proud of my little guys, they've adjusted well.  Kids are so resilient.

The boxes are the first shipment of medical supplies we received...a little overwhelming, but thanks to mom and Terri I've got it all neatly organized in plastic, portable drawers in the laundry room.  A big thank you to my in-laws and my mom for coming out to help us during and after the surgery!  We are so grateful to have you all.  And thanks to all of my friends who brought us meals or helped with Grace, what a blessing you are to me!

See, just little "bumps", no big deal!

2 comments:

Kelly Marie said...

The kids look great! How are Mom and Day doing?

Kelly Marie said...

Looks like Grandpa Robbie will have something similar on the same side only lower! Maybe Rhett and Ben can be his role models.