Wednesday, December 30, 2009

News from the Nest

Alright friends. We have some news. BIG news. Ever since Rhett was born, God has placed something on our hearts. Actually, He placed it on our hearts years ago, but in the past six months, He has been speaking to us...ever so clearly. And so, with Him leading us, we have made the decision to add to our family. We have applied to adopt a baby girl from Ethiopia!

There are currently 147 million orphans in the world, almost 5 million of those are in Ethiopia. We have been striving to have a heart more like His, and He is a father to the fatherless, a friend to the orphan and the widow. He loves mercy and acts justly. He cares for those in need.
With this decision comes many uncertainties. We don't know how this will play out, we don't know where the money will come from, we don't know exactly when we will have our baby home, we don't know how others will view our multi-racial family. We have been told our expectations will change many, many times throughout this process. But a few things are certain. We are passionate about this. We love being parents. We will strive to be obedient to God.

Yes, we have our hands full. But oh, how our hearts are too! Children are a precious, precious gift. "And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes Me." Matthew 18.5. We look forward to sharing the highs and lows of this journey with you and please keep our family in your prayers as we continue to seek God's will.

Much love,
Kirk, Becca, Grace, Ben and Rhett

7 comments:

Karen said...

Oh gosh, Becca. I'm bawling! I'm so proud of you both, and thrilled with the work God is doing in your lives. I'm honored to be part of the journey and commit to praying faithfully for you along the way.

Kelly Marie said...

We can't wait for another grandchild. . . . .You are wonderful parents and will be a blessing to any child in your family. Love you.

Morgan said...

That is so exciting, Becca. I am looking forward to following your journey to your new daughter! We know two families who have adopted from Ethiopia in the last year. One couple, former co-workers here in Taiwan, brought home TWO baby boys this past summer; the other family adopted a girl. I can pass along their blog addresses to you if you like.

kellyk said...

WOW!!! how did i miss this?! i will stayed tuned for sure! i have always wanted to adopt and can't wait to watch this :-)

Tamara said...

Amazing! What a special famiy you guys are! I am so thrilled about this journey you are taking! The Lord will truely bless and provide for you all along the way! I will be praying for you all in this time...how exciting! She will be such a beautiful addition to your already glowing family!

Matthew R. Lee said...

That's so awesome!
Wow. I have no doubt the Lord will bless this decision and use your family to effect marvelous change in all your lives.

Ashley said...

AWESOME! I've been behind on blogs for a while, but this is definitely the most important post I've missed. How exciting!